Under general supervision of the pharmacist, assists in coordinating the technical operations in the department. Assigns and reviews technician operations; reviewing for completion of assignments, quality and quantity of work completed. Assists in technician scheduling and provides input for evaluations and disciplinary actions. Provides input into operational processes. Assists in training and development of new employees/students including orientation and scheduling of training. Functions as lead or resource person. Provides updated information regarding changes in policies/procedures to employees. Coordinates or provides technician meetings, in-services and educational programs. Assists in competency assessment, training and evaluation. Coordinates technician activities to maintain workflow and quality services. Reviews completion of assigned tasks for the quality and quantity of work produced. Provides input and/or participates in performance review of technicians. Participates in technician interviews. Maintains awareness of support personnel work processes to identify opportunities for improvement of the department's services. Promotes continuous quality improvement. Assists in development and implementation of improved procedures. Performs the duties of a pharmacy technician as needed. Prepares I.V. medications for administration to patients according to established policies and procedures, utilizing mathematical calculations to ensure accuracy and maintaining a sterile environment using aseptic technique, prior to final check by a pharmacist. Packages, labels and stores solutions accordingly. Prepares, packages and labels interim and maintenance (i.e., 24-hour cartfill, automated system) medications according to prescriber orders and to established policies and procedures; utilizing mathematical calculations to ensure accuracy prior to final check or administration to a patient. Collects, records and organizes information relating to continuous improvement initiatives, workload statistics, patient billing, and other data as needed. Adheres to system, hospital, and departmental policies, procedures and objectives; maintains a professional appearance and a clean, safe environment. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. One to three years of pharmacy experience or completion of formal pharmacy technician training, as well as knowledge of medical and pharmaceutical terminology.
3. Certification is required and must be obtained within 6 months of employment.
4. Licensed as a Pharmacy Technician in the State of Michigan by 10/1/15.
1. Visual acuity and manual dexterity to operate an on-line computer keyboard and typewriter to maintain patient profiles, capture charges, enter prescription data and access patient information. Visual acuity and color vision to read prescriptions, recognize impurities in I.V. solutions, and accurately fill prescriptions.
2. Leadership, interpersonal and communication skills to effectively interact with physicians, patient care staff, other hospitals department personnel and patients.
3. Mathematical ability to perform calculations requiring knowledge of metric system and use of a calculator.
4. Ability to transport medication delivery carts, lift approximately 10-20 pounds (light work), bend and move stock (6-10% of work day). Ability to frequently (21-50% of work time) lift and transport medications such as I.V. solutions (exerting a force of up to 60 pounds). Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
5. Ability to move to and from various units/patient rooms of the hospital almost constantly (more than 80% of work day) to dispense medications, at times in cramped quarters.
Job: Pharmacy Tech
Primary Location: Detroit, Michigan
Facility: DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital
Job Type: Full-time
Shift Type: Days
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Internal Number: 2005039387
About DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital
Tenet Healthcare Corporation (NYSE: THC) is a diversified healthcare services company headquartered in Dallas with 112,000 employees. Through an expansive care network that includes United Surgical Partners International, we operate 65 hospitals and approximately 510 other healthcare facilities, including surgical hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care and imaging centers and other care sites and clinics. We also operate Conifer Health Solutions, which provides revenue cycle management and value-based care services to hospitals, health systems, physician practices, employers and other clients. Across the Tenet enterprise, we are united by our mission to deliver quality, compassionate care in the communities we serve.