Working under the direction of the on-site pharmacist, supports the pharmacist in the daily operations of the oncology pharmacy, including checking the patient schedule to prepare for needed therapies, compounding sterile preparations, ordering, receiving, and restocking supplies, entering medication charges and credits.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Accurately and in a timely manner fill medication orders, replenish Pyxis MedStations. This involves ensuring proper storage and security. Empty return and waste bins according to policy.
2. Accurately prepare IV admixtures or other sterile preparations as per policy.
3. Take a leadership role in ordering drugs and supplies and with the receiving, storing, and rotating of stock to maintain appropriate inventory levels.
4. Adhere to USP <797> and USP <800> logs, cleaning, testing, and preparation standards per policy.
5. Follows Vail Health safety protocols in dealing with radiation, toxic chemicals, biological hazards, heat, noise, dust and stress.
6. Monitor the routine inventory control of all controlled medications in the C-II safe complying with all regulatory and compliance agencies. Resolve Pyxis discrepancies in a timely manner.
7. Answer phones and interact with callers. Respond to service requests by other departments in a respectful and timely manner.
8. Maintain competencies by attending departmental training opportunities and completing assignments in computer-based learning programs.
9. Enter patient charges and credits daily, and complete interdepartmental billing by the 5th of each month and submit to Accounting. Includes the submission of approved invoices for processing.
10. Schedule technician personnel to cover required shifts monthly.
11. Role models the principles of a Just Culture and Organizational Values.
12. Perform other duties as assigned. Must be HIPAA compliant.
This description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
One year of Pharmacy Technician experience required.
Two years of sterile compounding experience preferred.
State of Colorado Pharmacy Technician Certification (PHAT) Required.
Computer / Typing:
Must be adept at typing and using various computer programs. Must possess, or be able to obtain within 90 days, the computers skills necessary to complete online learning requirements for job-specific competencies, access online forms and policies, complete online benefits enrollment, etc.
Must have working knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing, and speaking English.
Vail Health, formerly Vail Valley Medical Center, is a nonprofit community health care system serving patients and guests from around the world. Locally operated and governed by a volunteer board of directors, Vail Health includes a 56-bed hospital, accredited by the Joint Commission. Our 24/7 emergency department in Vail is a Level III Trauma Center with a nearby helipad for necessary medical transports. Vail Health provides a wide array of services and access points including Beaver Creek Medical Center, urgent care clinics in Avon and Gypsum, our Edwards medical campus, Eagle Healthcare Center and a multispecialty clinic in Frisco. Howard Head Sports Medicine offers physical therapy services at 10 locations and works closely with our internationally renowned orthopaedic partners at The Steadman Clinic and Vail-Summit Orthopaedics. In addition, Vail Health's Shaw Cancer Center and Sonnenalp Breast Center are the region’s only fully accredited cancer treatment center and comprehensive breast center. The Vail Clinic, which was founded in 1965, officially became “Vail Valley Medical Center” in 1980, its first year as a full-service hospital. At that time, we had one primary locatio...n and 25 physicians. Today, Vail Health has locations in nine towns, nearly 1,000 employees, 260 physician partners and 85 volunteers. Vail Health is an equal-opportunity employer. The hospital is handicap accessible and adheres to the Americans with Disabilities Act. Smoking is prohibited in our facilities. This includes e-cigarettes.